Literature contains references to published information on oyster habitat and related topics.
Downloadable files includes the latest FAQ sheet, a volunteer manual (pdf), and powerpoint presentations which may be used by teachers or volunteers.
LINKS to more information available on the internet
Clicking on these links will open a new browser window.
Related Projects in South Carolina
- Shellfish Research at SCDNR
- From Seeds to Shoreline
- Carolina Clear
- Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium
More Information on Oysters
- American Oyster - facts, life history, ecology
- Eastern Oyster (excerpts from a book; anatomy)
- Little Known Facts about Oysters - quirky but true
- Maryland oyster disease research
- Maryland Sea Grant oyster page
- Oyster Species Profile
- "Oyster Stew" - a compendium of useful information including a diagram of oyster anatomy (from Washington State Sea Grant)
- Profile of the American Oyster
- VIMS Oyster Disease research
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation-Save The Bay
- Fort Carroll Oyster Restoration
- Master Oyster Gardener
- NY/NJ Baykeeper
- North Carolina Shellfish Rehabilitation Program
- Oyster Gardening in New York
- Oyster Recovery Partnership
- Oyster Restoration Working Group
- Restoring Oysters to U.S. Waters
- Tidewater Oyster Growers
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) Oyster Reef Restoration
- Virginia's Oyster Heritage Program
- Aquatic Reef Restoration-Chesapeake Bay
- Baltimore Area Restoration
- Chesapeake Bay Restoration
- Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana
- Coastal America
- Gulf of Mexico Program-Habitat Links
- Long Island Sound-Soundkeeper
- Long Island Sound-Save the Sound
- New York-New Jersey Baykeeper
- NOAA's Community-Based Restoration Program
- NOAA's Office of Habitat Restoration
- Palm Beach, Florida-Habitat Enhancement and Restoration
- Restoration Marketplace (run by Restore America's Estuaries)
- Restore America's Estuaries
- Restoring Coastal Habitats - this link will download a pdf file
- Society for Ecological Restoration International
- Wetlands Restoration
- Directory of Volunteer Monitoring Programs
- Estuary Net
- Florida Lakewatch
- Great North American Secchi Dip-In
- NOAA's Restoration Monitoring - guidelines for monitoring with downloadable files
- Monitoring in Long Island Sound
- Monitoring Resources from EPA
- Oyster Restoration Metrics Workshop
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control: Water Watch
- South Carolina Phytoplankton Monitoring Network
- Voluntary Estuaries Monitoring Methods Manual
- The Volunteer Monitor Newsletter
- Volunteer Monitoring Groups Online
- Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring
Related Educational Sites
- Animals of the oyster reef
- Baylink Lesson Plans (includes Marine Populations Studies, Marsh March and Habitat Hunt)
- Build your own oyster reef (also Draw your own Diatom and other online games for young kids)
- Chespax Oyster Lesson Plans and Activities (4th grade)
- Chessie Bay Education lesson plans
- Edsitement - The Industrial Age in America: Sweatshops, Steel Mills, and Factories (including oyster factories)
- Education on a Half Shell (oyster life cycle and oyster hatchery)
- FactMonster: Mollusca (taxonomy, anatomy, background on oysters and other mollusks)
- For Sea Institute (K-12 educational materials which can be ordered - preview online)
- Happy as a Clam: mollusk lesson plans (Grade 5) -clicking the link will download a pdf file
- Living Bay Online includes teacher resources, including downloadable lesson plans and online activities such as "analogous anatomy" and "virtual microscope".
- Man and Mollusk is a resource site for students and teachers with lots of good links.
- OceanLink includes information on marine biology careers, teacher resources and lesson plans, and "ask a scientist".
- Ocean Planet Educational Materials.This Smithsonian site is chock full of lesson plans and links.
- Oysters in the Classroom includes an oyster anatomy lab and an oyster filtration experiment with downloadable materials.
- Oyster Bar Community lesson plans (Grade 5)
- RiverLab lesson plans. Oyster ecology; Oysters and water quality; Sustainable oyster reefs. Grades 6-12.
- Smithsonian Environmental Education Center lesson plans including setting up a saltwater aquarium and water testing.
- Southhampton College Environmental Education links
- The Bridge - Sea Grant Ocean Sciences Education Center links to the best the web has to offer in marine science educational materials.
- VIMS-The Bridge links to mollusk lesson plans.
- VIMS Oyster Reef Educational Materials includes Virginia Oyster Reef Teaching Experience.
- Virginia Naturally: resources for teachers and students including lesson plans and science fair projects
- Virginia Oyster Heritage educational materials including an oyster quiz and reef art.
Other Coastal Resource Sites
- Atlantic Coast Watch
- EPA: Adopt a Watershed
- National Marine Sanctuaries
- National Council for Science and the Environment
- National Estuarine Reserve System
- National Wetlands Inventory
- National Ocean Services
- Nature Conservancy
- NOAA Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research
- NOAA Coastal Services Center
- NOAA Chesapeake Bay Home Office
- NOAA Fisheries (NMFS)
- NOAA State of the Coast Essays
- NOAA-Urbanization of Southeastern Estuarine Systems Program
- North Carolina Coastal Federation
- North Carolina Department of Coastal Management
- South Carolina Sea Grant
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service-Coastal Program