Literature contains references to published information on oyster habitat and related topics.
Downloadable files includes the latest FAQ sheet, a volunteer manual (pdf), and powerpoint presentations which may be used by teachers or volunteers.
The SC DNR also maintains digital copies of all publications from the Fort Johnson Marine Center.
LINKS to more information available on the internet
Clicking on these links will open a new browser window.
Related Projects in South Carolina
- Shellfish Research at SCDNR
- From Seeds to Shoreline
- Carolina Clear
- Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium
More Information on Oysters
- American Oyster - facts, life history, ecology
- Eastern Oyster (excerpts from a book; anatomy)
- Little Known Facts about Oysters - quirky but true
- Maryland Sea Grant oyster page
- Oyster Species Profile
- "Oyster Stew" - a compendium of useful information including a diagram of oyster anatomy (from Washington State Sea Grant)
- Profile of the American Oyster
- VIMS Oyster Disease research
- Chesapeake Bay oyster restoration
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation-Save The Bay
- Maryland Oyster Gardening
- NY/NJ Baykeeper
- North Carolina Shellfish Rehabilitation Program
- Oyster Aquaculture and Restoration (Chesapeake)
- Oyster Recovery Partnership
- Oyster Restoration Working Group
- Tidewater Oyster Growers
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) Oyster Reef Restoration
- Chesapeake Bay Restoration
- Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana
- Coastal America
- Long Island Sound-Soundkeeper
- Long Island Sound-Save the Sound
- New York-New Jersey Baykeeper
- NOAA's Community-Based Restoration Program
- NOAA's Office of Habitat Restoration
- Restore America's Estuaries
- Restoring Coastal Habitats - this link will download a pdf file
- Society for Ecological Restoration International
- Wetlands Restoration
- Charleston Water Keeper
- Directory of Volunteer Monitoring Programs
- EPA Volunteer Monitoring Program
- Florida Lakewatch
- Great North American Secchi Dip-In
- NOAA's Restoration Monitoring
- Monitoring in Long Island Sound
- Monitoring Resources from EPA
- Murrells Inlet Volunteer Monitoring
- South Carolina Phytoplankton Monitoring Network
- Voluntary Estuaries Monitoring Methods Manual
- The Volunteer Monitor Newsletter
- Volunteer Monitoring Groups Online
- Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring
- Waterkeeper Alliance
Related Educational Sites
- Bay Backpack (lesson plans including Oystering on the Chesapeake)
- Edsitement - The Industrial Age in America: Sweatshops, Steel Mills, and Factories (including oyster factories)
- Education on a Half Shell (oyster life cycle and oyster hatchery)
- FactMonster: Mollusca (taxonomy, anatomy, background on oysters and other mollusks)
- For Sea Institute (K-12 educational materials which can be ordered - preview online)
- Great Oyster Mystery (and many other lessons from NERR)
- Lesson Corner: Oysters
- Lesson Planet: Oysters
- Louisiana Marine Education Lesson Plans
- Man and Mollusk is a resource site for students and teachers with lots of good links.
- OceanLink includes information on marine biology careers, teacher resources and lesson plans, and "ask a scientist".
- Ocean Planet Educational Materials.This Smithsonian site is chock full of lesson plans and links.
- Oysters in the Classroom includes an oyster anatomy lab and an oyster filtration experiment with downloadable materials.
- Oysters in your Classroom (introduction and links to lesson plans)
- Oyster Recycling:Sammy's Corner
- Oyster Reef Ecology (from Billion Oyster Project)
- Oyster Reef Ecology (from Earth Echo)
- Oyster Shell Observation Lesson
- RiverLab lesson plans in pdf format will automatically download. Oyster ecology; Oysters and water quality; Sustainable oyster reefs. Grades 6-12.
- The Bridge - Sea Grant Ocean Sciences Education Center links to the best the web has to offer in marine science educational materials.
- VIMS-The Bridge links to mollusk lesson plans.
- VIMS Oyster Reef Educational Materials includes Virginia Oyster Reef Teaching Experience.
- Virginia Naturally: resources for teachers and students including lesson plans and science fair projects
Other Coastal Resource Sites
- EPA: Adopt a Watershed
- National Marine Sanctuaries
- National Council for Science and the Environment
- National Estuarine Reserve System
- National Wetlands Inventory
- National Ocean Services
- Nature Conservancy
- NOAA Coastal Ocean Science
- NOAA Office for Coastal Management
- NOAA Fisheries (NMFS)
- North Carolina Coastal Federation
- South Carolina Sea Grant
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service-Coastal Program